The idea of a first-night bag or box, also called an essentials box, is sometimes overlooked with all of the preparation and hard work that go into a successful move. However, a little planning ahead can make sure you don't get separated from what you'll need most right after the movers finish up and you're officially living in your new home. Consider keeping the following items close by for the first days in your new home.
- Make sure you don't run into major annoyances or potentially serious problems by including the following items in a specially packed bag you carry to your new home yourself:
- Any prescription or over-the-counter medications you need to take on a daily basis.
- Glasses or contact lenses and the appropriate cases, solution and other cleaning tools.
- A few days' worth of clothes, packed separately from the rest of your wardrobe.
- Laptops, tablets and phones, along with any charging cords and other accessories you'll want or need to use soon after arrival.
- One set of sheets and pillows for your bed.
- A few dishes and silverware, if you plan on cooking or getting takeout your first night.
- If you have pets, you should also bring their food, dishes, bedding and any medicines they need for quick setup. This can help your pet adjust to your new residence, too.
- Some basic cleaning supplies to deal with move-in messes.
The items previously listed are a strong foundation. Now, consider any unique needs you may have. Do you need to pack work clothes alongside a few regular outfits? Will you need a steamer or iron and ironing board? Do you need immediate access to any important documents, or your checkbook?
Spend a few minutes thinking through the schedule for the days after your move. Figuring out what you'll need now saves you a lot of time and frustration later on.
Moving soon? A-1 Moving & Storage
has helped families with moves of varying sizes and distances for over 45-years! Spring and Summer are the busiest times of year for moving. Call us at 561-625-0600 to reserve your moving date, to schedule a pre-move consultation, or get an estimate! Call now!