7 Ways To Make Your Move Be Stress-Free
Tuesday, July 12, 2016 | Staff
Moving day does not need to be stressful. But, unfortunately, it does rank right up there on the stress-o-meter of life. Here at A-1 Moving & Storage, you can be assured we will be there on time and handle your belongings as if they were our own.
To help you relax a bit before, during, and after your moving experience, we’ve compiled a list of moving ideas that might just come in handy and help you attain peace of mind during your transition from one home to the next.
1) Purge before you pack! Especially if you are downsizing - schedule some time to go through the garage, attic, and any other storage areas in your current home to assess what can be given away or trashed. Of course you are going to want to keep grandma’s nice crystal vase but that old set of decorative boxes that have been collecting dust for years - get rid of them.
Clothes closets need your attention, too. If you haven’t worn that pair of pants you thought were so spectacular or those shoes you loved when you bought them, give them away. A good rule of thumb is - if you haven’t adorned the clothing in the past year, chances are you never will. Don’t waste your efforts packing them, only to stick them in the back of your new closet - again.
Consider having a garage sale or donating to your favorite charity. If you aren’t sure what to do with your giveaways we will be happy to suggest some our favorites. Many organizations will come to your home to pick up odds and ends, as well as furniture and clothing.
2) If possible, take a picture of the rooms in your new home prior to moving day. It’s ideal if they are empty so you can determine where the big pieces of furniture will be placed. Our guys are strong and patient but the move will go much quicker if you already know where you want the large and heavy items to go.
3) Take pictures of anything in your home that involves multiple plugs and cables - like the television and DVR player. Having a photo will make it easy-peasy to plug everything in correctly - the first time. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to set up the entertainment center, only to forget what gets plugged into what!
4) If you are moving a lot of cosmetics, here is a cool trick. Place a cotton ball in your compact makeup, such as powdered blush and foundation. The extra cushion will keep it from cracking.
5) Don’t clean your house as each room vacates. As much as we love our customers, sometimes we have to stage boxes or move from room to room during the process. We don’t want you to waste time! Wait until everything is out before doing your final cleanup. We also suggest, if budget allows, to pop for a cleaning service - one less thing you have to do.
6) Once you are in your new place, unpack the bedroom first. Sleep takes priority after a long day and in order to be refreshed and ready to set up your new home, it’s important to get rest!
7) Finally, when you are ready to tackle the moving boxes - unpack the kitchen first. After sleeping comes eating- so it’s a good idea to identify one box that has enough dishes and silverware to get you through at least one or two meals.
Moving is not everyone’s favorite thing to do, but keep this list handy and try some of these tips to make it an enjoyable experience.
And remember; whether it’s across town, across the country or Internationally, A-1 Moving & Storage is able to assist you and we would be proud to be entrusted with your most cherished possessions. Let us help you make your move a success!
Our Vision Statement: To be the recognized leader of relocation solutions while retaining our heritage as a family company that gives back to the community we serve.